Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Health Care=Eugenics?

Ok, so I take Biotechnology and we just covered the Eugenics movement that occurred in the 20th century, when people were sterilized and thrust out of society because of their physical and mental abilities. Beck says that Canada has started euthanasia because they have health care. What he fails to mention is the context in which euthanasia is allowed. I looked this up on the internet and could not find anything on this topic, so I am not sure what this law was passed for. The articles I found were published about a year ago about assisted suicide, so I don' t know the legitimacy of this claim.

From what I have found in my studies of the eugenics movement is that those who supported it resembled many of the radical republicans that are around today. They wanted an "America for Americans" and were obsessed with keeping a constant status quo. I think that this is one of those things that are just made up because they can be considered "scientific" and seem like they have a solid argument.

No comments:

Post a Comment